DAY THIRTY – Achieve. What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.
Is it just me, or are these prompts getting a little redundant on my ambitions, and what I want to achieve the most this coming year? We all know that I want to get published and be a successful teacher and scholar. That’s old news. But I guess I’ll change it up a bit with two things I want to accomplish – one academically, the other more personal.
Academically, I would like to pass my comps with no revisions in Fall 2012. I don’t even need to pass with distinction – passing with no revisions is just fine for me. I will feel quite accomplished and relieved if I am able to do this. Here are ten steps to help me get there:
- Get a good reading list together
- Plan out a study schedule
- Stay focused and on track
- Outline, outline, outline
- Don’t re-read everything, just the important stuff
- Treat studying like a full time job
- Study out loud with Melissa (my comps buddy!)
- Practice answering questions
- Constantly quiz myself
And most importantly, take weekends off! I still need to achieve that work/life balance!
Personally, I want to place in a ballroom competition this coming year. Don’t necessarily need to get 1st place – any ribbon will do at this point. I will feel extremely happy if I can achieve this. Here are 10 steps I can take to get there:
- Practice as much as possible
- Ask veterans for help
- Practice by myself when Edd can’t make it
- Take Dan Calloway’s classes (Beginner and Bronze)
- Videotape ourselves and critique
- Have vets watch us and critique
- Stay in time with the music!
- Perform, perform, perform…smile and sell it!
- Perfect my technique
- Write down every step and tip I am given
I just realized that I answered this prompt incorrectly – these 10 steps aren’t things I can do today to get myself feeling accomplished. But they are definitely things that I can do within the next couple of months to help me achieve these two goals for this upcoming year – and I am looking forward to working hard to achieve them!