December 10 – Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
Hmm. My wisest decision. This one took a little thinking and pondering…
…I think the wisest decision I made this year was staying at the University of Maryland for my doctorate program. Though I initially was thinking of applying to other schools, in the end I only applied to Maryland, and looking back on it now I think it was a good decision.
Why did I decide to put all my eggs in one basket? Well the answer is simple, and maybe a little silly, but I didn’t want to be far away from my significant other. With Michael having to stay in New Jersey for his band War Plan Red, I knew that I couldn’t bear to be further than a few hours away from him for another four years while I finished school.
In addition, I think staying at UMD was a great decision for a variety of other reasons, including:
- I’m already familiar with the faculty, graduate community and culture here;
- I can work to finish my doctorate faster than if I started over again somewhere else;
- I can take more classes outside of my field so that I can get a well rounded, interdisciplinary perspective;
- Most of my friends who have since graduated are staying in DC, so I can still be near them;
- I can continue working with some of the top faculty in the field; and
- I can continue on with my involvement with UMD’s Vagina Monologues.
So all in all, looking back at it now, I think it was the wisest, and best, decision.