December 17 – Lesson Learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?
My lesson learned for 2010? Don’t Take Anything for Granted.
A couple of weeks ago my landlady sent my housemates and I an e-mail apologizing for being MIA. She told us that her brother had passed away unexpectedly. He was 27. He had a heart attack.
It’s moments like these where you really think about what’s important. This young man was only two years older than me and died from the last thing I would have ever guessed that would have killed him. She said it was sudden too, so he probably had no idea or inclination that this was going to happen.
If I were to die tomorrow, what would I do differently? A helluva lot of things, but here are just a few things that immediately come to mind:
- Be more patient with my mom and not be so snippy with her;
- Tell people everyday that I love them;
- Reach out to old friends and reconnect with them;
- Get rid of grudges and hard feelings and patch things up with people;
- Thank my mentors for their help and support;
- Have more fun, take more breaks, don’t work so hard;
- Show Michael in little ways how much I love him;
- Travel more; and
- Perform again.
So maybe, instead of just being hypothetical and listing what I would do, I should actually do them. And that is how I plan to not take anything for granted moving forward to 2011.