December 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you
My word for 2010 is Achievement. Why? Here are just some of the things that I achieved in 2010:
- Wrote and successfully defended my master’s thesis
- Graduated and received my M.A. with a perfect 4.0 GPA
- Presented three conference papers in Singapore
- Received the Most Outstanding M.A. Student Award from my Department
- Received the Betsy Plank Graduate Student Research Paper Award from PRSA (with $1,000 prize)
- Received the Northwestern Mutual Best Master’s Thesis Award from the Institute for Public Relations (with $2,000 prize)
- Got my first publication in PRism
- Got my first article in press with Public Relations Review
So as you can see, all in all I’m very happy with how 2010 went for me. Another word I was thinking that could encapsulate this year is perseverance. I honestly believe that without working hard, and staying motivated, I wouldn’t have achieved all of these things. And I am very blessed to have such a strong network of friends and colleagues who keep me on track.
Looking forward to 2011, I would want my word to be balance. For several years now I have been struggling with achieving the work/life balance that we all strive for. I am known among my peers as a workaholic so I would definitely like to relax a little more this upcoming year. It’s a good goal to work towards and hopefully by this time next year I can proudly say that I’ve achieved it.